Daniel Lepage on 22 Nov 2003 04:10:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Stone Swapping

On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 05:02 PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

-Explain to me how giving a stone to someone can hurt them, and maybe
I'll back off that point. Depends on how often it would be an issue.-
----+
. V |
. W | <- Edge of board
. V |

You're one move away from capturing one of my pieces and getting a
small formation that's more difficult to capture than some. I give you
my piece. Now you've just got three stones on the edge of the board
that can be taken by pretty much anyone whenever they want, as the
formation's missing 4 liberties already from the edge.

-Or you could move to the left of my upper piece and take it, breaking up that group and leaving yourself with an eye in the corner that's worth a point to you later on. Sorry, not seeing it.-

Ok, a more nefarious example:

W W W
W W W
W W W

What's better than a three-by-three block? A three-by-three block with a hole in it! So I give you my centerpiece - I sap one of your points and get a nice hard-to-hit formation.

Actually, I don't really like being able to do that... maybe swapping is better. But I'd still like to be able to do it to an unwilling playing.

If my idea goes through in its current form, a stone 'swap' system
would be redundant, as what you've described is just a special case of my rule, where both players invoke the donation rules during the same
CP.
-Not if you can only give to allies, but can trade with anyone.-

Right. But as my prop rests right now, you can give stones to anyone,
and I like that.

-*shrug* Fair enough. That reminds me, does anyone have any thoughts on Legislosity, in either direction? I know it got through because it got recognized, but no one has told me how it sucks yet, and that's not normal.-

Looks like fun. Go for it.

Hmmm... perhaps if there were some way to force another player to swap
with you?

-Force NotBolognaAgainWhatHaveYouGot?-

Y'know, I miss the Force. I wonder if there'd be some way to bring it
back...

-It never left. It's still with us. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Force will be with us always. And now I'll shut up.-

Good :P
--
Wonko