Iain Scott on 19 Nov 2003 08:30:39 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 53 BALLOT

do we know when the checkpoint will be, yet?

cheers,
Iain

At 05:34 19/11/03, Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 11:58 PM, Anything McGee wrote:

From the prop:

 There exist Game Objects known as Bandwidth Chits. Any object can
possess Bandwidth Chits. X Bandwidth Chits, where X is a number, may be
 written as XBW.

 At the beginning of each nweek, the number of Chits held by each
player  becomes 10, and the number of Chits held by the Admin becomes
4, unless  another rule specifies otherwise.

But it doesn't identify what Chits signify. Sure, we all know, but it would still be undefined in the rules. And anyway, I think everyone knows my position on bandwidth, so "shelve" is the best vote a prop would get, if it includes bandwidth.

I'm not sure what you mean... the first part of this states that they exist and are Objects, and can be possessed by other objects... the second controls how many we get... if by "what Chits signify" you mean what they're good for, that's covered by the definition of a general Prop:
General Props are Proposals with a prop cost of 2BW...

Which means that you have to pay two bandwidth in order to make a prop.

With regards to your general feelings on bandwidth, my proposal doesn't actually make any changes to the current bandwidth system, it just makes everything else easier to read and deal with. This proposal is completely neutral on the bandwidth issue, seeking only to better define things.

But there's nothing worth putting in there right now;

Then it can wait.

and the current structuring of the rest of the rule means that the
dimension "Style" won't exist unless there's a section
entitled "Style" in that rule.

We don't have anything "worth putting in there," so we don't need a Style section. If something necessary or desirable did exist, then we could add it; but it's a basic principle of economics that a currency (in this case Style) has no value if it is undefined.

But there are things that can be done with Style, and they're defined by a couple of different rules, so that Style is actually a useful currency. The problem, which I didn't see when I first proposed to repeal this section, is that at the moment, each Dimension is defined by a section header - section B of that rule states "The following dimensions exist:" and then the title of each subsequent section is the statement that the dimension in question exists. Without a section there entitled "Style", the dimension called "Style" doesn't exist, even though other rules may reference and manipulate it; so I proposed to put the word back in so the dimension would be defined.

--
Wonko

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.