Baron von Skippy on 7 Oct 2003 03:58:17 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Proto-prop: Patents

> [...]
>> suppose any >patents held would just become Public Domain. > >> Hmm.
>> What about this... Patent applications only >> cover the class of
>> object (Gnomes, Speeder Upgrades, >> Whoopass and Whoopass
>> Accessories), and all of the >> various types of those objects (Fire
>> Gnomes, >> Vertical Boosters, Monoliths) have to fit some >>
>> definition in the patent (Gnomes are: blahblahblah) >> to be covered
>> by it. > >This is probably a better way of doing it. When I >created
>> the example, I debated whether or not to list >different types of
>> gnomes; I decided to go ahead and >do it just to get the idea out
>> there instead of >spending time to figure out how the rules for
>> >different types of a patented object would work. I'll >work on it.
>> There could be problems, however, if >patent holders could make new
>> variations on an object >without any oversight; for example, a Points
>> Gnome >that costs 5 points but when squeezed gives you 10.
>>
>> -Well, variations would require proposals that changed the rule
>> defining the type of object. But anything defined in that rule is (C)
>> (TM) (R) (PG-13) the society/player that holds the patent.- > >> If
>> someone then attempts to infringe on my patent >> with a similar
>> product (Pixies, Homonculi) which is >> like Gnomes but has a silly
>> hat on, I can sue them, >> which basically amounts to a CFI with
>> damages paid >> if it's found in my favor. Now, I'm assuming I'd >>
>> have to sue them while the proposal that would make >> Pixies into
>> something Gnome-like is still on the >> ballot. That way, instead of
>> letting CFIs repeal >> rules, we can let a Lawsuit CFI perma-shelve a
>> some sort of safeguard against various >> players (Wonko) dropping in
>> a prop like that in the >> eleventh hour the day I go away for a few
>> days and >> lose the ability to sue eir ass. That is, a >> safeguard
>> other than Dave stopping the Clock for >> four days at the end of
>> every nweek. Not coming up >> with anything there.- > >The lawsuit
>> thing could work; I'll think about it when >I get a chance to work on
>> the prop some more. Maybe >players could vote Infringing on a patent
>> prop; if the >Infringing votes had a plurality, then a lawsuit would
>> >be issued. > -We certainly do need more of a judicial system here.
>> The only effect of an illegal action at the moment is that it
>> mysteriously didn't happen. I think I might prefer to let it sort of
>> happen and then punish the person who did it. Obviously, I don't mean
>> we penalize everyone who sends a message to the wrong forum - I'm
>> thinking something like the real legal system, where a lot of laws are
>> there, but not really enforced, but some crimes are simply too serious
>> and real action has to be taken... unless of course the entire jury is
>> bribed... on the other hand, writing a rule based on something
>> inherently de facto is kind of hard.-
>
>First off, I'm having problems with your in-line comments,
>Baron.  One of us has an email client that isn't formatting

-I think it's you. I added some hard returns to make these a little easier to read...-

>Now...the patent doesn't have to be edited for each new type
>of gnome.  After all, you can just come up with another patent
>that makes use of these things called "gnomes" that exist as a
>result of another patent, without conveying any of the
>technology associated with the original patent...in other
>words, if you're selling marshmallows, you should probably see
>no problem with someone who wants to invent and patent smores,
>since e'll have to get eir marshmallows from you.

-Yeah, but it's just easier to keep it all in one place than to have a patent for every silly little concept. And overarching classes of objects will keep things tidier.-

>Granted, this might well result in a shitload of patents.  But
>since it's all text, and it'd have to be added to the single
>patent or the ruleset anyway, is that really a problem?

-Depends. Do you /like/ wading through hundreds of pages of extraneous text? No? Then don't read the rules... seriously, though, I repeat my pro-class statements.-

[[BvS]]