Daniel Lepage on 6 Oct 2003 22:49:15 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Proto-prop: Patents

On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Mark Karasek wrote:

Well, the reason I created this was for, as Glotmorf
said, "sole-source vendor societies", so that the
societies wouldn't have to be specifically mentioned
in the rules. There's no problem with objects that
anyone can create being defined in the rules, because
no game entities need to be mentioned. Also, I was
considering adding a bit about being able to make a
patent you hold Public Domain, at which point a rule
would be created defining the object, the patent would
cease to exist, and anyone could create objects of
that type.

Perhaps instead of having 'technologies' either owned by a sole proprietor or in the Public Domain, entities could gain the plans for certain technologies through various methods; for example, vSOI could create and patent Gnomes, and thus be the only one capable of creating them; but if vSOI taught some other organization, or that organization "stole the plans", so to speak, they'd also be able to create gnomes, teach others, be stolen from, etc.

It might be even more interesting if individual members of societies could, say, teach other players by notifying Dave privately; everyone would know that somebody in vSOI leaked the plans for gnome vats to OrcTech, but nobody would know who...

Of course, secret data can get difficult, especially if we can't find a better way of submitting and tracking it than having Dave slog through everything. But I imagine we could come up with something.

I do think we should develop some sort of material resource before doing this, though - I'd rather build gnomes out of Stuff than out of Points.

--
Wonko