Glotmorf on 29 Sep 2003 02:41:29 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Eleusis

On 28 Sep 2003 at 20:42, Baron von Skippy wrote:

> >I came across an interesting Nomic variant based on the card game
> >Eleusis. The general gist of the game was that one player, the GOD,
> >created a secret rule governing what sorts of proposals are
> >allowable. During each player's turn, e makes a proposal; if it is
> >consistent with the secret rule, it is adopted; otherwise it fails.
> >The objective is to be the player who figures out what the secret
> >rule is; at the end of the round, points are given out based on a
> >variety of factors, including who made the most correct proposals,
> >who finally ran out of points, etc.
> >
> >The original game collapsed because it became too difficult to get
> >proposals passed; the records are in Joel's deadgames archive at
> >http://www.nomic.net/deadgames/eleusis/eleusis.html
> >
> >Would anybody be interested in a subgame run along a similar theme?
> >
> -I could go for this. Sounds pretty cool.-

My Blind Nomic game (also in Joel's deadgames archive) had
similar problems, though people managed to eat away at quite a
few of the secret rules.

I ran it semi-Imperial, and one principle I operated under
was, "Rules that specifically reveal substantial portions of
the hidden rules would not be allowed."  Would there be non-
hidden rules, or metarules, or whatever, in Eleusis?
Otherwise, the hidden rule would HAVE to be something that
prevents revealing itself, else someone could just make a
proposal that reveals it.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower