Mark Karasek on 24 Sep 2003 14:28:30 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Checkpointly Recognizer (50.3/4)

--- Glotmorf <dwhytock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2003 at 3:49, Rob Speer wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:27:27PM -0500, David E.
> Smith wrote:
> > > Does something have to be a mailing list to be a
> Public Forum? Could
> > > I, for instance, designate the Go page on the
> Wiki to be a Public
> > > Forum? (Would this then obligate me to look at
> it every couple of
> > > days, just to be certain that nobody tries to
> make a prop or do
> > > something else squirrely through the Wiki?)
> >
> > I was considering just that.
> >
> > I think what we need is a rule for "limited Public
> fora", to designate
> > things to count as Public Fora for certain kinds
> of actions.
> >
> > The radical thing would be to move proposals to
> the Wiki. But then
> > there would either be no notification on the
> e-mail list, or it would
> > be necessary to make posts on the list like "I
> make a new proposal at
> > http://torg.mit.edu/bnomic/Proposals/nweek50"; (and
> I could make nice
> > URLs like this with Apache if we had a reason to
> use them).
>
> I've had the idea for a while of a webpage for
> entering and modifying proposals.
> They'd have to be stored under a player's name (and
> probably passworded, though
> we tend to be cool on that level in this game), so
> that the player can edit it as
> frequently as e needs.  There could be a button on
> the page that published it to the
> public forum by way of emailing it to the list.
>
> Could this perhaps be done through the wiki, giving
> anyone who clicked a "new
> proposal" button an edit box and save and publish
> buttons?  Does the wiki have a
> provision for template pages?
>
> 						Glotmorf

You know, Movable Type (http://movabletype.org) would
be great for this. It's a content management system
designed for weblogs, but it can be used for a lot
more (see
http://a.wholelottanothing.org/features.blah/entry/007162
for some examples). You can have multiple weblogs set
up (for example, we could have one for proposals, one
for go moves...) and give authors permission to only
post to certain weblogs, only edit their own posts,
etc. I just finished setting up MT for my own site;
I'd be glad to do it again for us.

--The Pusher Robot