Daniel Lepage on 22 Sep 2003 01:18:46 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] t-shirt

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 06:32 PM, Zac Mi wrote:

Wonko, I like the Gunfight idea.  How did you get 9999
style points?

I set up a nifty loophole that led to my gaining an infinite number of points. It had to do with a bug in a kind of stupid subgame called the number guessing game, wherein players basically tried to guess a bunch of random numbers for points. You lost points when you made guesses, and you got some back if you were right.

My scam was to create a society that would hold points for me, then give them to me whenever the sum of its points and mine exceeded 1000. Then I set my Automation Script (a tool later repealed because it caused too much administrative work, and allowed for too many scams such as this one) to make me automatically give all my points to my Cashbox society, then guess every possible set of numbers until I won, and repeat this over and over and over again until the Cashbox had enough points to let me win.

My plan was that this would happen, and then I'd win, the Clock would stop, and we'd fix the hole.

But I forgot about the Speed Limit rule, which stopped players from gaining more than 200 points in an nweek; when they did, the excess points were converted into Style instead.

So what happened was that I guessed and guessed and guessed, never losing any points because I didn't have any (they were all in the Cashbox); after 10 to the some very large number guesses, I'd win a bunch of points, and put them in the Cashbox. Doing this again and again caused the Cashbox to eventually hit 1000 and give them all to me. Most of this 1000 got converted to style; and since the Clock didn't stop as I had planned, my Automation script kicked back in and the whole process repeated itself.

Since all of the actions happened instantaneously, I got an infinite number of points instantly; all but 200 became style, and I was suddenly infinitely stylish.

Then Orc in a Spacesuit (who's now an ex-player, sadly) proposed and got passed a rule entitled "In True Final Fantasy Style", which replaced infinite quantities of anything with 9999 of it, so now I just have 9999 Style.

Glotmorf? Where in the rules does it say that to
create a t-shirt you have to pass a prop.?

It doesn't. In fact, the rules don't define any specific way of creating T-Shirts at all. However, proposals can change any aspect of the gamestate, including the existence of T-Shirts, so you can create them by proposal (although I don't think anybody ever has... the only two that exist were created when, through a hole that I still think was dubious at best, Glotmorf created a rule by emself that gave em the power to change the gamestate at will, and eir power created the one e has)

--
Wonko