Daniel Lepage on 21 Sep 2003 06:03:16 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Dodgerule

I've been toying with a subgame idea, and want to know what the general populace thinks. The game is tentatively titled Legislative Gunfight, and the general premise is that the players are on a small map, say 5x5, on which they move around and create new rules. New rules, once created, can be thrown at other players, sort of like insta-rules. There'd be some way to dodge thrown rules (haven't really worked that bit out yet); but if you don't dodge it and it hits you, it then applies to you for the rest of the round. To win, you have to be the only player left who's able to create new rules.

Rules could be created like, "this player may only make rules in Haiku form", or "this player may not move towards the left of the board while Dodging a rule".

Some set of restrictions would have to be imposed on the contents of the rules - obviously "This player can't do anything" would be too powerful.

The problem is, I can't come up with any reasonable way of ruling out the really powerful ones while encouraging really good ones.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Wonko