Daniel Lepage on 14 Sep 2003 22:09:35 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] INH

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 06:03 PM, Craig wrote:

So now I'm kind of curious. A number of subgames have been created
recently, yet INH lies unused. What would convince people to make use
of it? Subgames run independently of everything else can't really

I was away when INH appeared, so I am unaware of anything other than its
name.

generate serious revenue, as nobody would want to play if one player
stood to profit massively from it. The whole point of INH, then, was to
not only give such subgames a nice place to dump excess points, but
also to allow those excess points to be used in other subgames that
spent more than they got.
	INH subgames also have the advantage of costing Dave nothing, since
the Subgame Statutes are maintained either by some official in the
subgame, or by me, whereas right now, any change to the rules of Go,
Tunnelers, or Mercantilism means another database edit for Dave (and
changes to Go mean more proposal updating and vote counting, too).

Wow. This sounds good.

	So what I'm wondering is, what is it about INH that makes subgame
authors unhappy? And more importantly, what could I do to it do make
people more willing to use it?
	Is the subgame definition too restrictive? Do you think I have too
much power? Is the entry fee too high? Are you waiting for it to gain
some real money? Did you just forget about it?
Or do you just think it's a stupid idea in general, and I should give
it up and nuke the society?

I was unaware of it. Please tell me more.

I recently added it to the Wiki, so you can see a description and charter there. Basically, it's a society that, if anyone would create one, would run a bunch of subgames; as the Leader, I'd be responsible for keeping a record of their charters; since they're external documents referenced by the charter, the only thing Dave has to worry about is what I tell him the society does, so that instead of him having to remember how all the subgames work and remembering to, say, transfer lots of points to the Mercantilist victors, I just tell him "INH gives Teucer 12 points, and the Baron 7.". This also has the bonus of keeping the subgame charters out of the database, so Dave doesn't have to be the one implementing all the rule changes.

--
Wonko