Glotmorf on 10 Sep 2003 03:26:51 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Tunnelers discussion

>From a couple of Wonko's emails. Thoughts, people?

***

>BTW, the current Tunnelers rules actually say that the horizontal axis
>should be marked with letters.

Hm.  Based on what I had to go through in my Perl script recently I could work with letters or numbers.  Do you have a preference?

>I also suggest a modification to the rules, namely the following
>section 3.5, or some variant on it if any of this is inconvenient:
>{{
>__Structures__
>
>I.
>Structures are objects that may exist on the Tunnelers grid. Moles may
>construct structures; if no contrary limitations are placed on the
>construction of any given structure, then a Mole may construct one
>during eir turn by paying 5 Movement points, by paying 3 Movement
>points and discarding a card, or by paying 2 Movement points and
>discarding 3 cards.
>
>II.
>Pit Traps are a type of structure. When a Mole enters a square occupied
>by a Pit Trap, that Mole loses 2 hit points and the Trap is destroyed.
>}}

Including your later message into this...The thing that immediately comes to mind with the idea of structures reinforcing the walls is that theoretically the entire map could wind up tunneled.  Maybe not from traps, but other things, worthy of note since you're defining a general class.

In particular, I wouldn't think that a pit trap would make the walls *more* stable...if anything, I'd think it would lower the life of the square.

You also didn't say anything about the pit trap being visible or invisible.  If it's visible, people could tunnel around it.

If a structure is going to have any sort of perpetual reinforcing effect, there should be a way to destroy it.

-- Glotmorf