Daniel Lepage on 4 Sep 2003 22:04:58 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] proto: hexago

 > how do we label the spaces? Easy. Note the
 letters and numbers: Point X is B1, Y is E8, and
 Z is P14. If this still isn't clear, let me know
 and I'll try to explain better.

Indeed, I'm having trouble catching on to the labelling logic. That said, if I'm to be entirely honest, I think the whole Go concept is nonsense compared to the Grid. But maybe it'll grow on me.

Each letter is associated with a row that slants down to the right; each number with a row sloping up to the right; every point can thus be described by a unique letter and number. For example, all points in the isolated row below are in the 'M' row; the numerical rows go in the direction of a forward slash /.

       H I J K L  M  N O P
      G . . . . .  .  . . .
     F . . . . . .  .  . . .
    E . . . . . . .  .  . . .
   D . . . . . . . .  .  . . .
  C . . . . . . . . .  .  . . .
 B . . . . . . . . . .  .  . . Z
A X . . . . . . . . . .  .  . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . .  .  . . .
1 . . . . . . . . . . . .  .  . .
 2 . . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .
  3 . . . . Y . . . . . . .  .
   4 . . . . . . . . . . . .
    5 . . . . . . . . . . .
     6 . . . . . . . . . .
      7 . . . . . . . . .
       8 9 10111213141516

Or, to give another example, row 10 and row K have been redone in o's; the X is thus K10.

       H I J K L M N O P
      G . . . o . . . . .
     F . . . . o . . . . o
    E . . . . . o . . . o .
   D . . . . . . o . . o . .
  C . . . . . . . o . o . . .
 B . . . . . . . . o o . . . .
A . . . . . . . . . X . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . o o . . . . .
1 . . . . . . . . o . o . . . .
       8 9 10111213141516

As for Go vs. the Grid, I don't believe Go was meant as a new Grid; it's just a different subgame that happens to be arising shortly after the demise of the Grid.

--
Wonko