Glotmorf on 2 Sep 2003 13:11:29 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Orc

On 9/2/03 at 8:57 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>So in a message I never actually got, Glotmorf wrote something like this:
>
>>Tsk.  Dude, r14 clearly says a former player "ceases to be a player
>>in this game, and ceases to be bound by its rules. In addition, e
>>ceases to be anything else defined within the scope of this game",
>>which, I should think, includes a uniquely named object.  If the
>>entity originally known within the scope of this game as Orc in a
>>Spacesuit has ceased to be anything defined within the scope of this
>>game, then e is in fact not part of the gamestate.
>>
>>I consider this the fault of the wording of r14.  I would be more
>>sympathetic about this, perhaps, if its current wording wasn't the
>>doing of the entity originally known as Orc in a Spacesuit...
>

>Although r14 does say that e ceases to be anything defined in the
>game, it then immediately states that 'E then becomes a "former
>player" in this game', thus putting em back in the gamestate.

It doesn't really define "former player", though.  Certainly not to the extent of refuting the earlier statement about ceasing to be bound by the game's rules, or of being an object that has a unique name.  I'd put "former players" up there with gnomes, shillings or chocolate eclairs, being individually manipulable but collectively interchangable.  Especially considering gnomes had more stats than "former players" do.

						Glotmorf (again, or is it still?)
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower