Daniel Lepage on 12 Aug 2003 02:08:07 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Oops

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 11:31  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 8/10/03 at 10:41 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

I really would not classify IT or the 'repeal all national laws' as
"functional silliness".

Oh, I dunno...IT did give us Lake Caffeine...

-That reminds me... I'm working on a new Gridlike thing that would
incorporate most of the basics of the old Grid (say, revision 5 or so), but not the shape... this could be a sticking point, so I'll bring it up in discussion. I'm envisioning this being the area outside the old Grid (whose existence was denied by the masses when the Empire Grid prop was shot down), with a big Grid-shaped hole in one side. For reasons which are
mostly aesthetic, I'm thinking a big circle, 40 spaces wide, with most
(96%) of a 20x20 square chopped out of its middle and lower left, leaving
two thin arms on the left and bottom. There could also be islands or
something in the hole - I recall the grid-nuking prop saying something
about a quarter of the mass surviving. Anyway, we're talking about
something around 850-900 squares (I counted twice and got very different answers, so I have to find a new method of counting), which seems kind of
big, although I'd like to see some faster transport on this Grid that
makes the size I'm talking about less of a big deal. We could also put new
ideas onto this Grid, like that channeling thing we were discussing a
little while ago. Anyway, this isn't at all urgent. As I recall, Dave can
(and probably will) veto any prop that attempts to make this unless it
provides a Ministry to keep track, and I won't be able to set up such a thing for a little while, never mind find a way to describe in a rule a
circle with a square cut out of it...

Any thoughts other than "Baron, maybe you should lie down for a little
while?"-

How about you make it on the outside of a cylinder? That'll give you your circle, and still allow the squares to be, like, you know, whatcha call...square.

Then it's just a square with an edge wrap on one axis. I think e means with square squares, and a hole cut from it like a circle in a bitmap, pixel-like.

Though I don't see how we're going to be able to track 900 squares. Movement isn't going to be the problem, I think - just *looking* at that much space is going to be hard. We'll spend a good five minutes each day just finding ourselves. (Before anyone calls me a hypocrite (at least for this), yes, I am aware that I was at one point advocating a 7200 square grid. This is the reason I decided not to propose it)

I also believe we have a grid already, defined in rule 1635. We just aren't using it.

Yet.

--
Wonko