Daniel Lepage on 3 Aug 2003 23:05:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Underground Society

On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 05:21  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

And what happens if a player goes On Leave or something? Does the game
simply pause until e gets back/gets garbage collected?

I'll have to think about that. My first thought is to say eir mole stays where it is while e's on leave, and dies if e's garbage-collected.

And eir turn gets skipped?

5. Joining a Game

Members of this society may pay four points to the society to become a player in a game of Tunnelers. If a game is running at that time, the
player's mole is placed on the board at the Moderator's discretion,
the player receives five cards from the deck, and the player's name is
added to the player list just after the last player to have completed
a turn.  If a game is not running, the player's mole is placed
randomly on the board, and the player's name is added to the end of
the player list.

This means that a member of the society can pay four points even if
they're already playing in order to relocate eir mole, gain five cards,
and get another entry on the turn list.

Careful, guy. You're on the verge of giving credence to the Baron's MPD Scam. "Members of this society may pay four points to the society to *become* a player..." which means, like in the Baron's case, they presumably weren't a player before.

You list four things that happen when a member pays four points:
* They become a player in the game of Tunnelers
* Their mole is placed on the board at the Moderator's discretion
* The player receives 5 cards
* The player gets added to the list of players (although technically nothing links the player list to the turn order)

The first of these will fail if the joiner already is a player. The other three won't.

Also, how can you guarantee that the game will ever end if dead players
can come back for 4 points? Or is that intentional?

That's intentional. If you get killed, you can re-enter for 4 points, though with a base-stat mole. Note that killing two other moles lets you break even, and killing three yields profit. And the jackpot continues to climb.

I suspect that, if any mole gets strong enough, people are gonna cease to want to go after it with a base-stat mole. That mole would then wind up as the sole survivor and cash out, then a new game would begin. (Anyone who wants to bankrupt emself pointwise just to prove me wrong is of course welcome to do so.)

Since it's hidden data, we might not know when somebody became too strong to make it worthwhile.

--
Wonko