Glotmorf on 30 Jul 2003 04:53:48 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] vSET

On 7/30/03 at 12:40 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>> Personally I think the only practical way to do hidden actions is a
>> separate email address with a procmail handler, or a webform, that
>> updates a database that Dave, in a DOFOE situation, has access to.  Is
>> there interest at this time in a general-purpose database-logged
>> hidden-action submission webform?
>
>Uh... that sounds like it might be what I said, but with a side of
>technical knowledge. What's a 'procmail handler'?

Procmail is a Linux (Unix?) utility for pre-processing email as it comes in to your account.  You set up a spec file in your home directory that has actions to perform based on text patterns identified in the mail messages.  I haven't looked at it for a bit, but I believe that includes kicking off an executable with the mail message in the input stream.  You could write your own majordomo based on procmail.

I once had an idea for hanging a database interface off of procmail, so that if I sent specifically structured queries through email (from, say, my cellphone) I could get results of the queries emailed back to me.  Then I realized it required, like, you know, whatcha call...time.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower