Baron von Skippy on 25 Jul 2003 01:49:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Annulment of society charters

>The administrator claims e has annuled all society charters because they don't comply with the definition of a society charter, in that they don't place restrictions on players.
>
>M-Tek's charter actually doesn't have this problem, but I've addressed that separately.  With regards to charters in general, the relevant points to me seem to be:
>
>- Rule 578 says a society charter consists of, among other things, "a list of restrictions" on its members.  Nothing says that list can't be empty, so Rule 18 applies in saying one can use a list of no restrictions, which is the case for most societies.
>
>- Rule 129, the Statute of Limitations, says any change made to the game state is considered valid after 10 days.  Since most society charters have remained unchanged for the last 10 days, they are valid now, even if they weren't when they were put in.
>
>- I can find nothing in the rules that empowers the administrator to change society charters on eir own initiative.  E can veto changes other players want to make to them, but e isn't authorized to change them emself, except to correct typos "when the intent is unambiguously clear".  Since annuling a society's charter constitutes a change, the Administrator isn't allowed to do it.  Since the absence of a list of restrictions is a fairly unambiguous way of indicating there aren't intended to be any, e cannot call such an annulment a typo correction.
>
>So.  Anyone wanna make a CFJ?  I'd suggest making the Administrator the defendant, which means Wonko will pick the judge.

-You've got this all worked out; why don't you CFI it? Just paste that argument you just made into the "rationale" section. Except for the Statute of Limitations part - vSET is not 10 ndays old in its current form, and so if you leave that in, it's a hole through which the entire argument can fall. (You know, sometimes I wonder if this nitpicking is a good thing... then I think "well, duh" and stop being a fool.)-

[[BvS]]