Daniel Lepage on 17 Jul 2003 13:07:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Foomp

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 12:20  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

It's not that we recognize a 'state of emergency'; it's that a majority
of all players must agree that an emergency has occurred; when this
happens, it sets of r0.

Yes, but the precedent that has been set for the agreement of players is that a player says e recognizes a state of emergency; that recognition is noted by the administrator and is assumed to be ongoing, until either said player says e ceases to recognize a state of emergency or a majority of players have recognized a state of emergency.

The precedent has also been set that we're assumed to have stopped recognizing an emergency once whatever issue provoked it gets solved. So if we go by precedent, then there's no problem.

Now, does said recognition come during gametime, as a game action? Is the recognition of a state of emergency part of the gamestate? If so, said recognition remains part of the gamestate when the game resumes after the Pause, unless something changes the gamestate to remove said recognition during the Pause.

Based on the wording of r0, recognition seems to be associated with an event. If a majority of all players agree that a given event requires emergency treatment, then an emergency begins. But an event can't cause multiple emergencies, because it either is bad or it isn't. If it is, r0 takes over; if not, nothing special happens.

Strictly speaking, the only thing that keeps us from being in a state of emergency right now ever since the last termination of a Process is the statute of limitations.

And the fact that the state of emergency ended.

--
Wonko