Rob Speer on 17 Jul 2003 04:46:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Political Go

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:59:26PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> Oh, you're saying that gameplay stops when we all lose interest; and
> then we make guesses about what would happen if we had kept going?

Would you believe that that's how Go is actually played?

Except it's not "until we lose interest"; generally, the game continues
until the point where either player making a move would decrease their
final score. This happens when every unoccupied point is either clearly
in the territory of one player or the other, or clearly can never be in
either one's territory. Playing in the no-man's-land points accomplishes
nothing, and playing inside your own territory decreases the size of
your territory by a point.

Here, I'd expect the game to end in a similar situation, when the board
position stabilizes enough that if people played within their Alliances,
they would lose points, and they would stand to lose too much by
breaking an Alliance.

Incidentally, I've taken out the "if we had kept going" part, because
it's not clear how that works in PG. The rule is there in Go to prevent
unnecessary "cleanup" moves.
--
Rob Speer