Daniel Lepage on 17 Jul 2003 03:39:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Foomp

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 10:19  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

And I did get points, by increasing the number of points in my
possession.

-No, what you're saying is "The points in my possession have increased, therefore I recieve those points," which is not the same and is not allowed.

If the number of points I have goes up, it doesn't increase the number of points I have? That's a curious way of looking at it. And, no offense, a completely ridiculous one. The ruleset uses "gains points" and "increases score" interchangeably; and r154 defines that to be true. It's true that if you gain points, the number of points you have goes up; it's also true that if the number of points in your possession goes up, the number of points you have goes up.

So yes, it is the same, and yes, it is allowed.

It should be noted that Rule 154 /also/ says "A Dimension can in general have any real number as its value." Now, by your logic we can set the values of our dimensions, yes?

No, by my logic we can move 'along the axes' as it were, not just at random to any point.

Okay, then. I change the value of my Score, Charm, BAC, Activity, Entropy, and Style to "any real number," noting that those undefined values are within the limits set by the subsections of 154 that define those dimensions. Now, this doesn't mean that I win, but it does mean that either you didn't win either or we've got to do the SOE dance again.

No, it means that you tried to use the hole I found to something more than that hole can do, namely setting your dimensions to a nonnumerical value, whereas I did it the right way and won.

Just because I found a way to change dimensions in some respects

--
Wonko