Daniel Lepage on 1 Jul 2003 04:28:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] The Grid

I have a question, a straw poll, if you will, for the players.

I am working on a proposal to create a new Grid, one that will hopefully be neater and easier to work with. I want to know what direction we want to take this in.

Certainly the old grid was modeled like an RPG; each player was on the grid emself, and most of eir grid actions were done by em, on emselves and on objects near em.

However, as we drew nearer to where we are now, the Grid seemed to be progressing more towards a strategy-style game, such as WarCraft or Risk. Land ownership was created such that players, after making one purchase in person, could do the rest from anywhere, even Limbo. Armies were made, so that a player's commands could affect any part of the Grid, regardless of where the origin of the order was. Land Improvements and Remote-Controlled speeders made it possible for intense, heated action to take place on the Grid even if no players were actually there. (such action failed to materialize; this is largely due, I believe, to the sudden arrival of the end of the year; tests, recitals, etc. made many players unable to spare more than a few minutes a day for trivialities such as gaming).

Both of these layouts have potential. I'm somewhat in favor of the latter, the Strategy Game, because it is new - the RPG world has now Been Done, developed to the point where we could no longer deal with it. But I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this.

--
Wonko