Glotmorf on 29 Jun 2003 23:13:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Ow.

On 6/29/03 at 3:53 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> When proposing multiple rules, it is only necessary that the rules be
>>> clearly delimited. The Standard Delimiters may serve this purpose.
>>> }}
>>>
>>> Also, I believe you need to declare that you're proposing a rule. As
>>> in,
>>>
>>> I propose a rule:
>>> {{
>>> <snip>
>>> }}
>>>
>>> Simply stating the prop does not technically even imply that you're
>>> issuing a proposal; only that you feel the need to speak some
>>> delimited
>>> text on a public forum.
>>>
>>> See r217 ( http://www.nomic.net/~g6//curver.php?rn=217 ) for more
>>> details on delimiters and their use :)
>>
>> And you call yourself an authority.  You cite the rule I said works in
>> combination with the Boilerplate rule, yet failed to use it in your
>> counterargument.
>>
>> The Standard Delimiters rule reads: "The character sequences '{{' and
>> '}}' (without the single quotes) may be used in the text of any
>> Action, Proposal, or Rule [[ yay recursion ]] to mark the beginning
>> and end, respectively, of text that should be set apart, such as the
>> text of a Proposal or Rule, or an amendment to either one. If it is
>> not explicitly specified that these character sequences mean something
>> else, they are considered to delimit text in that way."  The rule
>> explicitly references the text of a Proposal or Rule; granted "such
>> as" is more inclusive than exclusive, but for that I cite the Default
>> Case and say that since the rule doesn't state the validity of
>> delimited text other than proposals or rules it is only the creation
>> of proposals and rules via delimited text that is permitted.
>>
>> Since I no longer Rule, I can't create rules upon my sayso; therefore,
>> of the two explicitly mentioned possibilities, the only possibility
>> for delimited text in a standalone manner is a proposal.  Since there
>> is onle one action inside the proposal, and that delimited and given a
>> title (as per the third paragraph of the Standard Delimiters rule:
>> "The character sequence '__' (again without the single quotes)
>> delimits the title of a Rule or Proposal; the title begins after the
>> first '__' and ends before the second one. The title is applied to
>> whatever Rule or Proposal has most recently been introduced in the
>> text of the message."), it conforms to the Boilerplate rule as being a
>> proposal containing a single action being the creation of a rule.
>
>I disagree with two of your assumptions here.
>	First, you claim that the mention of Proposals and Rules in r217
>implies that *only* proposals and rules are legitimate uses of the
>delimiters. However, r217 explicitly states that delimiters may be used
>to mark the beginning and end of "text that should be set apart"; the
>mention of Rules and Proposals is simply for clarification, and does
>not in any way imply that rules and proposals are the only forms of

The mention of Rules and Proposals may be "simply for clarification", but the presence of it in the rule text, as opposed to comment-delimited, means it has the force of rule.  While there may in fact be other instances of "text that should be set apart", the rule doesn't give a clear general case for them; therefore, the examples the rule provides are the only valid examples because there's insufficient criteria to identify another valid example.

>	Secondly, you assume that the existence of delimiters is enough to
>imply an intent to create something with the delimited text; r217 in no
>way says or implies this. It merely permits you to use the brackets to
>mark a block of text. You could be suggesting the text of a new rule
>you wish somebody else to propose; you could be quoting a rule from a
>different game; you could simply be stating some random text that you
>think should be set apart. Nothing in your message in any way implies
>that you intend to create anything.

Except that the things you provide as examples aren't recognizable actions on the public forum.  Assuming for a moment that the primary purpose of the public forum is to post recognizable actions (never mind a lot of the other damnfool stuff we use it for), the examining of a public forum message should involve looking for things that can be recognized as actions.  A proposal is recognizable.  A quote from another Nomic is not.  Therefore, if one were to put a quote from another Nomic on the public forum delimited by curly braces, it might well be parsable as a proposal, and should be.

>	Likewise, even if you had declared that you were making a proposal,
>the existence of delimiters within your proposal cannot be construed to
>indicate that you wish to create a rule. You have nowhere indicated
>that you wish to create anything; in fact, you never even specified
>that the text inside was an action. While we can perhaps assume that it
>is meant to be a change to the gamestate, as proposals are simply lists
>of such changes, you haven't indicated what the change should be. Is
>the delimited block intended to create a new rule? A new proposal? A
>new section of an existing rule? A new text to replace that of an old
>rule?

See above.  If a proposal is a collection of changes to the gamestate to be performed, the act of recognizing a proposal should consist of looking for recognizable gamestate changes within it.  Does the creation of a proposal change the gamestate?  Technically, posting to the public forum with a valid action changes the gamestate.  So if we make proposals that make proposals, should we also make proposals to make forum posts?

>	The fact that the act of "proposing a rule" is defined as making a
>proposal with a single action that creates a new rule in no way
>indicates that you did that, unless you state that that's the action
>you're doing. Otherwise, we have no reason to believe you've taken any
>action at all.

We could simplify this discussion by taking it in a different direction.  I have done this before.  It was recognized as a proposal that creates a rule.  This establishes a precedent that suggests the validity of subsequent similar action.

>Oh, and BTW, you can't claim that the definition of '__' helps you at
>all, because you didn't use the standard title delimiters; you used
>single underscores instead. They aren't defined to do anything.

Hm.  You might have me there.

>> Wasn't there an old CFI to this effect?
>
>Not that I can see.

I'll do some digging.  I know this argument has come up before.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower