Daniel Lepage on 28 Jun 2003 03:25:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Ow.

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 11:22  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

Okay, my head is starting to hurt. If the ruleset is a Cadillac, and the players are morons with shotguns, I'm not quite sure, after all the blasts, just how much of the actual car is remaining.

Rather than focusing on what we want to blow away, has anyone thought about what we actually want to keep? Like, should someone at least remove the tires and radio first?

I've got some design sketches for the Grid Mark Three... Or at least, a framework for making it.

{{
__Spaces__

There exist objects called Locations. A Location is an object that can contain other objects. It represents a physical place in some space.

There exist objects called Environments. An Environment is a collection of Locations. No object may exist in more than one Location within the same Environment unless a rule specifically permits it. No Location may be part of more than one Environment unless a rule specifically permits it.
An Environment represents a world with many places in it.

All Environments must be named; Locations need not be named, but there must be some way to distinguish between any two Locations. [[Thus, (row,col) pairs are acceptable within an Environment; the containing Environment may be used to distinguish between Locs in different Envs.]]

The Administrator may force any proposal to be Shelved if that proposal creates a new Environment without also providing for a Ministry to track the state of said Environment.
}}

{{
__Space Objects__

A $ENVIRONMENT object, where $ENVIRONMENT is the name of an extant environment, is an object which may occupy a location in the named environment. An object that is not specified by the rules as being an object of a certain environment is assumed not to be, except for players, which are assumed to be objects of all environment unless the rules say otherwise.

Objects that can be in a given environment may only enter/leave locations in that environment according to the rules.
}}

{{
__The Grid__

There exists an Environment called The Grid. Grid Locations may be referred to as Squares, provided that the context makes it clear what is being referred to.

The Grid contains 400 Squares. Each Square is identified by a pair of integers, the Square's x coordinate and its y coordinate. Each of these is an integer from 1 to 20 (inclusive). There is one Square for every possible (x,y) pair.

Two Squares are Rectalinearly Consecutive if they have the same x value, and their y values differ by 1, or vice versa. Two Squares are Diagonally Consecutive if both their x and y values differ by 1. Two Squares are Consecutive if they are Rectalinearly and Diagonally consecutive.
}}

{{
__Grid Movement__

Any Grid Object may make a Grid Move, which is a shift from one Square to a consecutive Square, once per Checking Period. Such moves take affect at the end of the Checking Period, in the order in which they were performed. If an attempted move is illegal, it does not occur.
}}

--
Wonko