Glotmorf on 20 Jun 2003 21:28:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proxy Fixes

On 6/20/03 at 10:56 AM Adam Hill wrote:

>--- "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>{{A player may not hold more than one other player's proxy during a
>voting
>>>period.}}
>>>}}
>>
>>Why?
>
>Because otherwise there's the possibility of one person having control of
>so many votes that eir votes cancel out all others.  It's about diversity,
>my friend.

I don't buy that.  If a bunch of people vote together, it overwhelms everyone anyway.  If a bunch of people arrange to vote together via the actions of a single person, that's not different from everyone voting together.  The giving of proxies has to be done on the public forum, and the possession of proxies is recorded on the roster.  It's not something that's going to accidentally sneak up on people.  If someone has a majority of votes through proxy, it's because a majority of people are willing to vote all the same way.

Hey Wonko, remember the Tyranny of the Majority story?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower