Daniel Lepage on 18 Jun 2003 03:44:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Society Tweaking again!

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:10  PM, SkArcher wrote:

How about making it so the changing of a societies charter is
*allways* a
valid reason to quit a society? That way charter changes that
institute too
harsh lock in mechanisms will simply be ineffective.

I know - mandate that all charter changes need to be announced 3 ndays
early,
and any members can leave at any time during that.

I suppose... I always favored a more "let the buyer beware" method -
let people create whatever societies they want, and if you don't trust
a given society not to nail you, don't join. If you go ahead and join
anyway, and get screwed over for it, well, whose fault is that?

It is more than *changes* to the society charter can be enacted, so that you suddenly become subject to rules that were not in evidence beforehand. I would definitely say that an 'opt out' clause should be put into the
society rules.

Changes can only be made in accordance with the charter. I personally have no intention of joining any society that doesn't have some sort of opt-out clause built into it unless there's a very good reason to do so. On the other hand, there might someday be a very good reason to do so. So why forbid it?

If nothing else, Dave will have the power to veto a change if e thinks it's overly restrictive; but e shouldn't have to use that.

--
Wonko