Daniel Lepage on 13 Jun 2003 02:52:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Proposals

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 11:19  PM, Craig wrote:

I'm also not sold on the virtue of trying to turn bandwidth into a game
object (Bandwidth Chits, in this case). Someone could decide that they
must be trade-able objects, and someone WILL find a way to exploit this --
maybe they'll stash them Elsewhere via the internomic-trade rule, then
bring them back later on. Trying to make bandwidth tangible is bound to
cause problems, IMO.

Bandwidth is zero sum. That is, I cannot store bandwidth Elsewhere when/if the Nomic Market gets off the ground (in Thermo we found it needs a lot more
work) without losing that bandwidth now. I can't cause the sort of
too-many-proposals bandwidth prevents, since I only get the same amount of bandwidth. And wouldn't it be a good thing to have people able to say "I like your proposal and hereby give you the bandwidth to do it with" so the correct person gets the points when it passes? In Thermo, we have to destroy in order to create. Ordinarily we destroy our own Coins; if you don't have
enough you can get people to offer their Coins in support.

I think the problem is not too many proposals overall, but too many proposals within a short time. Dave's worried that we could stash away all our bandwidth every nweek for an nyear, then suddenly dump 11 nweeks worth of proposals on em in on nweek.

Perhaps if there was an absolute limit to the amount of bandwidth an entity could spend in an nweek?

Or maybe Mr. A. could unilaterally shelve any proposal beyond, say, the 30th on a given Ballot?

I'm tempted more by the first of these then the second; it prevents me from dumping a BW stash on nday one and forcing Dave to shelve everyone else's props.

--
Wonko