David E. Smith on 14 May 2003 02:25:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Force vs. Source

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Baron von Skippy wrote:

> > > E did. Anything you write is copyrighted instantly.
> >
> >Well, he should have licenced it properly. Anyway, it was a joke on the
> >whole
> >'Source' thing. I never read the books, though.
>
> -It's not copyright unless you declare it to be so. Otherwise it's public
> domain, although you don't have to publish to make it copyrighted.-

By default, anything written has an implicit copyright. There are legal
steps (at least in the US) that can be taken to enhance the protection of
copyright (registration, etc.) but by default your stuff is copyrighted
unless you explicitly choose to release it to the public domain.

IANAL, blah blah.

...dave