Craig on 11 May 2003 22:56:01 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] A cookie to the first person to identify the quote...

>What if we had a three-way system, with the Force, the Source, and some
>other power being used? Each system would have some way of assigning a
>numerical value to its follower's abilities; and the sum of these
>values for any given player could never exceed some value X? Thus, I,
>as the Jedi Lord, would far surpass everyone else in matters of the
>Force, but I'd be pitifully weak in terms of Source and Third; whereas
>a Padawan wouldn't stand a chance against me in a Force-related duel,
>but could weave circles around me with the Source?

A possible third thing: Alchemy. A suggested implementation:

First, create Brine Gnomes. These can be squozen to create one Unit of Salt,
or squozen twice to create one Unit of Tin Salt.
Second, allow alchemists to dig anywhere of substance Earth, creating two
Unit of Dirt.
Third, create Chemical Gnomces. These can be squozen to produce one of the
following, at random: Niter, Vitriol, Gold, or Silver.
Fourth, allow alchemists to buy stills. These are immobile things, and you
have to be at a still to distill anything.
Fifth, allow them to buy retorts. These are mobile, and can be used instead
of a still - it just takes twice as long.
Sixth, create some processes you can do. The odds of success then go up with
your alchemy level. For instance,
An alchemist may distill three Units of Dirt and one Unit of Salt to create
two Units of Spirit of Salt.
An alchemist may distill two Units of Vitriol to create one Unit of Oil of
Vitriol.
An alchemist may distill two Units of Niter to create one Unit of Aqua
Fortis.
An alchemist may dissolve one Unit of Vitriol in a Unit of Aqua Fortis and
distill the result to create one Unit of Aqua Regia.
An alchemist may distill four Units of Dirt and one Unit of Tin Salt to
create two Cans of Whoopass.
All of the above are based on John French's book "The Art of Distillation",
a tome on alchemy published in 1651.