Orc In A Spacesuit on 11 May 2003 07:07:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Testing....

From: "Orc In A Spacesuit" <orcinaspacesuit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Oh, I had no illusions have having any record on a large scale. I just meant that in terms of B Nomic. We tend to do this kind of thing often; I was wondering if we had outdone ourselves this time.

I never understood that phrase. By definition, you cannot outdo yourself, for whatever action you take that causes you to be outdone is, by virtue of having been done by you, setting a new standard for what it means to outdo you. It's like the way it's never tomorrow, and my score is undefined when it's 100 more than it is.

It means to do better than you have ever done before. It doesn't include the action that actually does the undoing.

Orc in a Spacesuit