Glotmorf on 5 May 2003 03:47:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Veni, Vidi, Vacancy

On 5/4/03 at 11:37 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 10:19  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
>

>>> Any resemblance between this debate and the the CFI regarding sirens
>>> and airspeeders is entirely superficial.
>>>
>>> The issue between sirens and airspeeders had to do with
>>> wilfulness...A player in a siren's area of influence doesn't want to
>>> move out of it, therefore doesn't want to generate an event that
>>> moves em out of it.
>>
>> No, that's the /idea/ behind it -- NOT what the rules say.  Here's the
>> applicable passages:
>>
>> Sirens when I tried to have my speeder get me out:
>> "Players in a Siren's ZOE may only move to other Grid Squares in that
>> Siren's ZOE, and Players in a Siren's ZATR may only move to Grid
>> squares in that Siren's ZATR or Grid squares in that Siren's ZOE."
>>
>> Toad/Penguins now:
>> "E may not make a move of eir own free will."
>>
>> Nowhere does the Sirens rule say anything about free will.  Yes,
>> that's the idea behind it, but that's not how its implemented.
>
>The Siren Rule indicates that no player may ever move out of range of a
>Siren. Since there is no distinction between moving and being moved,
>this means that Sirens can hold you against Pinball Guns and explosions
>as well.
>
>The Toad Rule, though (which is actually the same rule as the Siren
>rule... go figure), only indicates that no player may ever
>*voluntarily* move as a Toad. That's what the bit about Free Will does.
>Thus, if a player is moved by circumstances which *they do not
>control*, then they can move around as a toad. But they still cannot
>take any action which moves them.

If what you're saying is true (and I'm not admitting that here), then the siren rule and the toad rule should be reversed...it's the siren rule that should concern free will, while the toad rule should concern personal physical capability.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower