Orc In A Spacesuit on 1 Apr 2003 03:31:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] less judges

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 3/31/03 at 6:03 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

Is it? Is it sent to the general public? I think not. It is private, between us nomic players and those others who have joined the list.
Private
does not mean just two people. A gathering in my personal room would be private, unless I was holding an open-invitation party in there. But it could include any number of people, and only require that I let them in.

And before you bring up the archives, they're not the communication,
they're a recording of it. Just like at said private party, someone could set up a camcorder, and later post it on the internet for all to see. The recording would be public, the actual party private, among whoever I let in.

If you were to bring a camcorder to a private party of mine, and post the recordings from same to the web without my permission, I would be very inclined to use your dermal capillaries to test the absorbency of the nearest concrete wall.

What if I let them? The party's still private, but they can bring a camcorder. Or perhaps there's a "private press conference" that only a few reporters can go to, but they'll surely blab to the entire world.

<snip>

The archives, therefore, are explicitly in the public domain, and have probably been spidered by now by search engines. Checking...yes, "Glotmorf" is locatable via Yahoo.

Completly agreed; I already stated as much.

<snip again>

And the state of the archives being in the public domain has been a constant state since the beginning of the game, which means it was something you were aware of when you joined. Which means you consent to it, since the alternative to consenting to it is not playing the game.

You actually are not required to join any mailing list to play the game; not that you'll have much luck. Nor is any mailing list recognized as something other than spoon-business, as it's a public forum. Every single other means of communication, be it mailing lists among any number or set of people, telephone calls, a big party that Wonko throws for all of us on his private island in the Carribean, smoke signals, writing on my steamed-up mirror -- no mode of communication is anything special to the Game, except spoon-discuss.

Now, there's two ways to look at this: "privatly" as stated in the rule quoted by the CFI either means "in a private forum" or "in some manner that is not open to the public"

If it is the first interpertation, then I think it's quite established that spoon-discuss is a private forum.

If it's the second interpertation, then I interpert that spoon-discuss is "private", as it is not open to anyone; someone must be in a certain group (subscribed to the forum) to receive it. If this was play-by-snail-mail, postcard only, if someone sent a postcard to Dave, it would be private, even if Christine got his mail for him and made copies of all postcards he got and sent them to the local paper. The actual postcard would be private.

Orc in a Spacesuit