Daniel Lepage on 31 Mar 2003 23:46:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] less judges

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 06:17  PM, bd wrote:

On Monday 31 March 2003 05:53 pm, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
And since we're talking about the ruling, I would love to hear any analysis on part of anyone else as to why it would be true. As far as I know, I've disproved every iota of evidence saying it's true, while providing plenty
saying it's false.

spoon-discuss is sent publicly, even though it isn't a public forum.
spoon-business is both public and a public forum. The rule says they it's legal to privately send them to the administrator, not that it's legal to
send them *through a private forum* to the administrator. QED.

To do something privately does not exclude all other people knowing it. If it did, as you seem to think, then Dave could nullify anyone's votes simply by announcing them to somebody else. It wouldn't even need to be a player - Dave could go get drunk and rowdy and get arrested, and mumble what you voted to the cops, and *poof*, there would go your votes. Fortunately, that's not the case. By sending a message to spoon-discuss, a player ensures that eir votes will leave them and arrive in Dave's inbox. This is a private communication. The fact that the votes were also privately communicated to each other player does not negate this, nor does the fact that the votes were then posted for public review on the mailing list site; the fact remains that Dave got an email which was sent by a player specifically to em containing the correct votes. Thus, even sending them to Spoon-Business would count as sending them privately to Dave, as e would be sent, privately, a copy; even finding some other mailing list which Dave subscribes to and posting to that would be legal (of course, if Dave denied that e'd ever gotten it, we'd have no way of proving you sent them). I thought we had settled this already, almost a year ago, but I guess I was wrong.

--
Wonko