Daniel Lepage on 28 Mar 2003 14:07:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] On Win Resets

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 10:51  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pay more with what? Would everyone start out with a pool of something that they could use to bid for a few big things or a slew of little things? And would it be sealed bids, or rounds of sealed bids, or are we talking N-Bay here?

Regarding resources, I said at some point before giving everything a BNS value that might be purchased after a win, and allow purchase with a set amount of BNS that you have to spend at the beginning of the game. Or we could set up an equivalent currency, like Character Creation Points or something.

Regarding purchasing and bidding:
I say a combination. Some unique things that we want someone to have at all times, but many would want, we could bid on. How, exactly, I would likely say sealed bids, with perhaps a public "set of bids" that can be modifeid by anyone before the win happens; essentially, Wonko could say "If there's ever a win, I automatically bid 1000 BNS for the Ministry of the Force position." And after a win, people would have a few short ndays to bid secretly on the things up.

Anything drawn out, like rounds of bids or N-Bay, would take too long, and would put those who don't check their email that often at a disadvantage.

Most things, however, should be freely purchaseable, as long as you have the BNS or whatever. These things could include stuff like location purchasing, aquirement of an unowned improvement, getting a Boots of +1 Speed, etc.

One thing we will have to do is make sure that there is no set of things that could be bought at the start (with the amount of BNS you get) that would result in a nearly instant win.

Wandering a bit off topic, since ministerial positions and benefits associated with societies was mentioned: I think that singularly empowering societies in the rules is a Bad Thing. Things like Gnomes, Airspeeders and their Upgrades, and even my Boomcages, having those restricted to specific societies, I don't like. But I think this has already been discussed, and most players agree with me. Just we never got a good prop hammered out to fix it.

I like the idea of having different sorts of factories for various things, and needing RUs and whatnot to use them. Thus, a player could, if e really wanted to, build eir own Gnome Vat, Speeder Foundry, Upgrade WorkShop, etc., but it would also be possible for groups of players to band together and pool resources as a society to, say, build twenty Speeder Foundries, mass produce speeders, and sell them to the public.

I always liked it when interesting things like Speeder Markets appeared without the need for rules defining them.

--
Wonko