Daniel Lepage on 28 Mar 2003 14:04:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Lots of stuff

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:02  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 3/27/03 at 8:19 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

On a Guide

You know what would be helpful, if the grid is going to become
obscenely complicated in the near future? An Object Guide. It could be
stored as part of the object database mentioned above - under, say, Big
Stick, you'd find it's mass, type, uses, and a 'description' string,
which might read, say,
"The Big Stick, as the name suggests, is simply a large piece of wood.
Specifically, they tend to be about three feet long, thicker at one end
than the other, and somewhat bumpy and rough-hewn. It is the crudest
weapon to be found on the Grid, being useful only to hit things; as
such, it is very simple, and requires almost no intelligence to use.
Naturally, Ogres love it.

Big Sticks can be found pretty much anywhere, and there is almost
always at least one on the Grid at any given time."

If we had a basic syntax system, such as those employed by Wiki pages,
such entries could be made to contain tables, links to the other
objects they mention,

The problem with such a guide is that it would have to change exactly as often as the ruleset to be genuinely useful. I think I suggested this once before...What about splitting objects off into a separate rules listing? That way they can be indexed by name, they can have descriptions that in fact are their rules, they can reference other objects in the same object listing or rules in the main rules listing...and they might be more readily integrated into the class system talked about earlier.

A separate object ruleset would be very useful; it also might help to have a society devoted to the maintenance of this site, a 'Ministry of Documentation", perhaps...

--
Wonko