Orc In A Spacesuit on 28 Mar 2003 10:07:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Can you dodge?

Shoulda included this with the last message, but I hadn't thought of it yet:

If you hadn't guessed from the last post, I'm standardizing "attacks" and giving the players, as well as a small number of other things, Hit Points. A part of this is some familiar things, such as Pinball Guns, will become "weapons", a class of objects that can be used to attack. Right now, I have a simple "X weapon does Y damage, which might be modified by Z player's Amulet of Double Damage or whatever" set up. And as a part of this, if someone attacks a valid target, it automatically hits. That's the way it is now; shoot someone with a pinball gun, and you have no chance of missing.

The question is, would we want to have there be a chance to miss on things, and if so, how much? Should hits be automatic in most cases, and only if you have something special, like a good set of armor or good dodging ability, do you have a chance to avoid attack? Or should it be more random, with a chance to go either way if it's a normal attack and the target has no special defense?

In either case, I think Pinball Guns should keep a good chance to hit. I mean, all you have to do is make contact, and they're right there next to you.

----

I hadn't really thought about this until now, but do we want to go far as to add types of damage? If we do, I think we should limit it to two; Forceful (bludgeoning or crusing in some games), which armor shouldn't help against, and Mangling, which involves cutting or stabbing, and armor should help with. I think that might be getting a bit complicated, but if people want to protect against certain things, it'll be easier than listing a bunch of different places damage could come from.

Orc In A Spacesuit