Orc In A Spacesuit on 28 Mar 2003 03:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Rules on the Grid

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 3/27/03 at 8:19 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:
Okay, next issue: Rules on the Grid

I don't think every rule should be on the grid (do we even have enough
squares?). But some rules, I think, would be very interesting on the
Grid. Certainly Rule 10, for all the argument it's caused, would be an
excellent Rule to have a war over.

Both this and the idea of Rules as living things would, IMHO, be ideal
uses for the Level system - one Level could be reserved for Carryable
Rules, another for Living Rules, etc.

Living Rules might better be implemented as a Subgame, though (perhaps
if INH ever got going again?)

I would suggest that the grid be a separable subgame from the main game...that it not be possible to actually destroy rules based on their capture on the grid, but that possession or control of the rule's grid presence give an extra vote to the controller.

This might lend new powers to societies, which could have society fortresses/strongholds that captured rules could be held in, so that society props centered on rules in their control might get an extra vote as well as the society's block vote.

There should be a time limit, though...If a rule is held for too long it should be allowed to escape and flee to a random location, and a given entity (player or society) should only be allowed to control so many rules at a time.

In addition, perhaps a rule isn't exactly *on* the grid as much as it has an avatar presence on the grid...and said avatar can be destroyed. Keep a live rule avatar too long, or too long without proper care, and it can "die"...possibly to be reborn on the grid later, but regardless the rule itself remains.

						Glotmorf

I like it.

Orc in a Spacesuit