Glotmorf on 26 Mar 2003 07:05:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Future of the Grid

On 3/26/03 at 12:46 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Okay...I was sort of against making the grid bigger before, but this
>might
>>necessitate it.  But if the grid does get bigger, I think Football should
>>be either scrapped or be situated on its own grid.  I still favor
>multiple
>>grids set up as dimensional planes or physical layers.
>>
>>How big a thing do we envision the grid becoming?
>>
>>						Glotmorf
>
>I think that multiple "grids" is something that is good.  However, the way
>the ruleset is written now, it really can't be implemented easily.
>Another
>reason for that uber-prob of mine, which I've been going over recently,
>since it removes nearly every darn reference to "The Grid" or "Grid
>Locations" or whatever, instead creating universal, generic, Locations.
>Locations which can have different Regions, like The Grid, The Alternate
>Grid, the Football Gridiron, The Risk Board, whatever.  I got so close to
>catching up, then we had that whole takeover business...  bah.
>
>I have been thinking the past few days about a prop, that as a part of it,
>would include an alternate Grid.  But the way the rules are now, unless we
>make a new "grid" extremly limited, we'll have to rewrite a huge portion
>of
>the rules to get everything to work correctly.

Well, Rule 407 calls the grid a "space", and says there can be multiple spaces.  We can expand r407 to describe XY spaces as a subset of spaces, describing areas whose components are X and Y dimensions, and what we now call the grid can be an XY space.

Suppose we were to separate the football grid from the RPG grid.  Should they have a common Limbo, or separate Limbos?  Should they be interrelated, such that a player can be on one or the other, but not both?  Or should a player have an "avatar" on the football grid and a separate "avatar" on the RPG grid?

And should some rules cover all XY spaces, while some apply to one or the other?  I could see the Yeti having impact on either the RPG grid or the football grid.  Same with Big Rocks and sirens.

Or perhaps I'm going from the wrong direction.  Perhaps all the rules we have now for the grid should be set up as "standard methods", like what I had for societies a while back, and we dictate which ones apply to a particular grid...

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower