Orc In A Spacesuit on 21 Mar 2003 15:50:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Changing Unanimous Yes

PS. Question: is it recEIve or recIEve ?
In the rules, receive is used 48 times and recieve 32 times.

"I before E, except after C" ...and some other funky exception. In this case, it's after C, so it's EI, or recEIve.

I hate the I before E "rule" in all its variations.

Once I took a dictionary file and sorted out all the words with ie or ei. The fact is that the rule "I before E, always", while blatantly wrong, is correct more often than "I before E except after C". Adding the "or when sounded as A" exception makes it do only slightly better.

But that means you just have to remember how to spell 'receive'.
--
Rob Speer

-Welcome to this glorious hodgepodge we laughingly call a language... Has anyone ever /looked/ at words to see how odd some of them really are? Like, where did we get "hodgepodge" from, anyway?-

[[BvS]]

Hodgepodge is an alteration of Middle English hochepot, and that's from the Old French word for stew.

Really.  You should know better than to ask such questions here.