Daniel Lepage on 18 Mar 2003 04:09:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Database?

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 10:25  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 3/17/03 at 3:22 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
Ooh, and bonus points if it's a Microsoft Access database, despite the fact that I have no love for the evil empire, simply because I am a pretty familiar with them and making programs for them.

A Microsoft Access database wouldn't be much use on the nomic.net server, since it's Unix-based. Yes, there may be a Unix-based ODBC driver for an MSAccess database, but mySQL is already there and quite functional.

Right now, inasmuch as my webpage is functional, it relies on both Dave's DB and my own. Theoretically each Minister could have eir own database and read access to Dave's, or alternately (and I think more simply) each Minister can have eir own tables in Dave's DB, and Dave's and others' tables can be made accessible to all. That can make for some rather complicated interconnectedness, but cross-table queries are far less work than querying separate DBs independently.

All that really matters is that I get some way to interface with the database, other than just me typing in numbers on a form on a web page. I am lacking some basic key element in knowing how to do that. Get me a connection to a database online, and I can go from there.

Well, I'm programming in python, and I've got lots of reference material on how to interface between mySQL and python, but barely any on how to talk to a Microsoft Access database, so I'd prefer to see something in SQL.

As for automating things like the weather and nweekly increases in movement points, my program already knows how to do that; given a database, it wouldn't be hard to have it update the db every time I hit the 'nweek' button.

--
Wonko