Daniel Lepage on 17 Mar 2003 03:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] In memoriam.

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 04:57  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Repeal rule 10.
-Oh, hell no...-

I've been thinking about it, and is it really necessary? Besides, there's one sentence in this rule which I really think that we could stand to do away with, and that's "No Proposal may attempt to temporarily circumvent the Rules." Any thoughts?
-Yes we need it, otherwise nowhere does it say we have to follow the bloody rules. You know, that makes the game sort of work, eh? About ten scams spring to mind as I consider a 10-less game. The passage of this proposal will lead to another SOE, and I'm getting a little tired of seeing all my stuff reset.-

Well, the argument for repealing rule 10 is that the only reason we should follow it is because it says so. If rule 10 is in fact the only reason why we obey all other rules, then I can simply choose not to obey rule 10; then, according to you, I have no other reason to obey the rules.

I personally feel that we obey the rules because otherwise, we're not playing the same game - sure, you can award yourself 10000 points, boot everyone else out of the game, and change the ruleset at will, but that would be like trying to checkmate someone in Monopoly. You'd be playing a different game, and thus would have no effect on this one.

--
Wonko