Orc In A Spacesuit on 14 Mar 2003 21:25:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Some New Moves

I've begun working on the prop to make races functional, and as a part of it, I'm reworking the movement system (so that Speed will let you move so many spaces). While I'm at it, I'm getting rid of the actions "Move" and "Run", and combining them into the "Walk" action, which costs 1 Movement each (and each nweek they get Movement equal to their speed). A few questions:

Should we restrict it to one Walk per nday? Maybe allow people to say where they're walking to at the beginning of the nweek or whatever, and have them do it as the ndays progress automatically, without having to send in seperate emails. Also, perhaps allow 2 moves in an nday in certain conditions (like perhaps allow a Sprint action, which can be done once per nweek for X amount of constitution you have, and maybe Faeries can do it as long as they have Movement? Or something like that.)

Next, what would you think of limiting Airspeeders in a similar way, but not as harshly. Like 2 or 3 moves per nday, or maybe start at 1 move per nday with an upgrade available for more?

Also, I'm Walk doesn't sound quite right for things like Speeders and flying races. I'm thinking of a Fly action that is similar to Walk, though maybe with 2 uses per nday. What about other mechanics associated with flying? Should fliers be immune to non-flying armies without ranged attacks? And should we set up a new attribute for such things, like whether they are Airborne or Landed?

Finally, regarding Curt and Rod: I'm generalizing movement a bit, saying that you can Walk or whatever to adjacent locations, and that all Grid Locations are adjacent. This is for ease of use when we make new locations; we could've just said "The bottom floor of the Tower of Babel is adjacent to Grid Location (x,y)" or whatever. Now, regarding Curt and Rod, I was thinking of them just making their two locations adjacent to each other, and that would let more than just players go through them. However, what special limitations should we put on it? I'm disallowing Curt and Rod from climbing through the window already, but what about things like Airspeeders and Armies? Should Aispeeders be denied due to their size? Should armies take extra time to climb one-by-one? Or is the window big enough for unhindered movement?

--
Orc In A Spacesuit