Daniel Lepage on 19 Feb 2003 13:49:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 34 BALLOT

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 10:04 PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Yes. But an administrative fix is in order, I believe - the Baron changed the /20 in the formula back to an /10 when e added the other /2. This would render anti-air armies practically powerless.
-That was entirely intentional, Wonko. No fix is needed. Allow me to try to explain. That /10 (or /20) is attached to the phrase "(1d5 - 3)." (1 + (1d5 - 3)/10) [as the formula reads] yields a result between .8 and 1.2, which puts some variation into the damage dealt to make things less predictable. If the 10 is replaced with a 20, then that whole phrase yields a number between .9 and 1.1, which changes the average damage none at all, but reduces the variation significantly. I didn't want to do that. I wanted to halve the damage those armies did against Speeders. So I did. Do you understand now?-

I understand perfectly. What I'm complaining about is the fact that the WEBSITE has the /20 AND the /2, even though, as you've said, you didn't want the /20. According to the messages I received, you changed the /20 back to an /10, but the WEBSITE doesn't reflect this. I understand what you want the formula to do. Just make it do what you said it should.

Okay, here's that problem list I mentioned:
-And rebuttals for all of them. You made intelligent arguments, but only one looks at all like a problem, and that's very easily rectified whether or not this passes.-

Dwarves: This essentially amounts to "Dwarves have double toughness" - the current phrasing states that Dwarf Armies who Dig In lose movement for an nweek but keep *2 toughness until they are no longer Dug In. You provide no method for Digging them Out, but nobody would want to, because they can still move after the first nweek, so the only noticeable effect is that now they're tougher than anybody else.
-Noted. I might also want to take the dash off of the end of that. I'd ask people not to shelve this - I'll stick the fix onto another prop (no extra points), and that'll deal with it, since the problem doesn't come around for an nweek.-

Elves: Say that the Elves may Snipe *enemy armies*. Not just "Snipe"; that implies that they can do it whenever; then you have a reference to 'the enemy Army', which may not actually exist.
-Trying to snipe a Big Rock wouldn't do you any good. Is this actually a problem? I'll attach a fix to the aforementioned other prop, to clear it up, but this is hardly dangerous. The most anyone could do is announce they're Sniping 8,000 times, in which case they get their Ass Kicked for spamming.-

No, because they can still Snipe from anywhere, in which case they must, according to the rule, Attack 'the Enemy Army' from two spaces away. This implies that if I snipe, and there's only one Enemy Army, I move to some location 2 away from it and hit it. It also will crash in the face of multiple opposing armies, as nowhere does it talk about *which* army gets Sniped. That's bad.

Faeries: Say that they can Hit and Run Armies *when they could attack them*; nothing right now stops Faeries from Hitting and Running from enemy Armies on the other side of the grid.
-You can't attack them unless you're next to them, and this says they're making a first attack.-

Therefore you must automatically be relocated to a place where you can Attack them from every time you Hit and Run. That's bad. According to the rule, you can Hit and Run any army from anywhere. Then you automatically Attack them and retreat. So if I've got faeries at (1,1), I can Hit and Run your Ogres at (20,20) and there's nothing you can do about it, except that possibly my army gets moved closer to yours.

Orcs: You changed... uh... whaddaya call that? Whether it's singular or plural? There's some fancy word for it, but I don't remember what. Anyway, you changed from many to one, and it's confusing.
-Um... okay, I think I found what you were talking about... you mean I refer to "Orc armies" as "it." That's grounds for an administrative rectification, if I read rule 255 correctly.-

Yeah, but as long as everything else needs fixing, why not fix this too?

Blobs: "as though the Blob Army had Attacked them" is ambiguous; do you mean, had it hit them once, or had it Attacked them and gone through with the rest of the battle?
-I mean as though it hit them once. An Attack is defined as one hit: "When one Army attacks another, it lowers the other Army's Strength by ((1+ (1d5-3)/10)*Attacker's Power)/Defender's Toughness." There isn't any ambiguity here.-

Fair enough.

Droids: They can start Repairing or Quick Repairing while they're Repairing. That's probably bad... given 10 ndays I could have a Droid Army with arbitrarily high Strength.
-Except Strength can't go above 1. That doesn't change the first part of what you said, but it is worth noting before people panic. Also, once they're Repairing, is it even possible for them to start Repairing again? I don't think so. It's basically boolean. Either they are or they aren't, you can't stack the two on top. It's like... hmm, can't find anything that really fits in the context of the game. If I tell my Droids to Repair, then I tell them again, they never stop Repairing, but the 5 nday counter is reset, so if you tell them to start repairing every day, they'll never finish.-

Higher rule number -> higher precedence. If this rule says toughness gets increased by .3, it gets increased by .3, whether or not a lower-precedence rule tries to stop it.

--
Wonko