Glotmorf on 12 Jan 2003 06:03:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Prop: layers

On 1/11/03 at 11:44 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>{{ _Layers_
>
>I fail to see any difference between this and chutzpah.  This is just
>another chutzpah.  People can do extreme layers too.

The difference is that chutzpah should indicate the general importance of a rule within that rule's class, whereas some classes of rules should always be more important.  Rules controlling the voting process, for example, should be at a higher layer than grid rules, but some voting rules are more important than other voting rules, and some grid rules are more important than other grid rules.

Plus, it shouldn't be necessary to do extreme layers.  The layers concept should be that if a rule is more important than all rules in its layer, it should be bumped up a layer.  If it's not as important as the layer immediately above, a new layer should be created.

>Perhaps something that would help would be a list of all rules with a
>particular chutzpah, so people can see at a glance what a particular
>number
>would mean.

Sorting options are a separate issue.  I think different sorting options would be a really good idea, but it would have to be coded, and it would mean either more static rule lists (not necessarily a bad thing, and easy to produce once coded for), or a dynamic query capability which would slow down both viewing and Joel's machine.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower