Glotmorf on 9 Jan 2003 01:44:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 30 BALLOT

On 1/8/03 at 5:35 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>I don't think that societies were originally meant to fuction in the way
>M-Tek did.  In my view, it was in the same catagory as the voting-gremlins
>and stealing-points ones.  I took away the abilities that I felt abuseable
>and unintended.  As for WBE, my prop came out before that agreement was
>made, and would have changed my prop to reflect that if you hadn't made
>your
>own prop.  Once you made yours, I figured that was that, let the issue be
>decided seperatly.  Same goes for the 'only actions societies may take'
>thing.  But let's not dredge up the past.

Actually, M-Tek was precisely the model I had in mind for societies.  I'd proposed the Entropy restrictions, you see, and I was looking for a way to pool, not bandwidth as Wonko kept accusing me of, but entropy...I was relying on getting in someone with low entropy before my own got too high. (You can tell I was under the gun to get M-Tek going...p649 that creates it is all two-syllable words.)

>>The aspect of our arguing that touched upon the Societies rule being My
>>Baby had to do with claims that the Societies rule was obviously totally
>>flawed and absolutely had to be rebuilt from the ground up.  That's what
>>made it personal.  There may have been a flaw or two in it, but that
>>doesn't make it obviously totally flawed.
>
>"claims that the Societies rule was obviously totally flawed".  I NEVER
>SAID
>THAT.  I repeatedly stated that it had some minor issues that did not
>require a complete rebuild.  A lot of what I was doing was expanding what
>societies could do, making way for them do many things without a rule
>having
>to say 'oh, and societies can do this too' or something.  With all that,
>plus the fixes, I figured a rewrite would be the way to go.

Hm.  Perhaps my memory is soured by the bad taste in my mouth from the whole episode.  I'll go try some Listerine and move on.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower