Wonko on 7 Dec 2002 03:50:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] This should do it

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 12/5/02 at 4:59 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,
>>
>>> Should it be determined that the unregulated object existed, and that the
>>> proposal could reference it, we get a bit more metaphysical...If a
>> proposal is
>>> a collection of actions to be performed, then at the time the proposal
>> gets
>>> implemented it must contain the actions to be performed; therefore, the
>>> actions are no longer unknown and the nature of the proposal is known.
>> If
>>> that's the case, the fact that the proposal performs a change in order to
>>> permit a second change, then undoes the first change, makes the proposal
>> in
>>> violation of r10, which says, "No Proposal may attempt to temporarily
>>> circumvent the Rules."  It doesn't break that down into each individual
>> action
>>> the proposal takes; it cites the proposal in its entirety.
>>
>> So disable the anti-circumvention clause first. Actually, one could argue
>> the circumvention part means nothing - a proposal doesn't actively try to
>> do
>> anything. A proposal is a list of requested changes, which are implemented
>> by either the Voting rule or by Dave, depending on how you look at it.
>> Rules
>> are certainly allowed to circumvent other rules; so's Dave.
>
> Actually, and I don't know why I'm helping you guys with this side of it,
> but...you could do it as a series of chained props.  Have one prop change the
> rule, and another prop that functions on the condition of the passage of the
> first prop delete r1219 and reset the rule.  The change to the rule can even
> have a contingency clause, so that if the first prop passes but the second one
> doesn't the rule can reset itself. (Learned in the good ol' days of
> programming when session memory was limited to 64k.)

Or, e could propose to amend rule 10 by replacing the bit about all game
entities being required to obey all rules with a bit about all game entities
being required to obey all rules except Glotmorf Rules!, which nobody is
allowed to follow.

Or e could make a new rule stating that "The player known as Glotmorf may
not take any action which would change the gamestate except those actions
allowed to any player, and the action of increasing eir BAC by one." It's
not in conflict with GR! because of Blanket Permission - Glotmorf'd have
BlankiePerm to change whatever e wanted, with the Specific Restriction that
e could only use this to alter eir BAC. It doesn't rule out gamestate
changes completely, so it's not a conflict.

--
Wonko