Wonko on 30 Nov 2002 16:07:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Step the hell down already

Quoth Rob Speer,

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:56:00AM -0500, Wonko wrote:
>> Quoth Rob Speer,
>>
>>> What, exactly, is so great about Glotmorf being Overlord that we let him
>>> keep being it?
>>>
>>> I'd understand the situation if Glotmorf was still actively thwarting
>>> attempts to depose him, but now it seems that people are just quietly
>>> taking it. Has everyone given up that easily?
>>
>> If you mean in regards to the Overlord rule, that actually has some uses,
>> and I'd rather have Glotmorf as OL than some other players I could name
>> (*cough* Calvinballplayers *cough*)
>
> Enlighten me. What use does it have?
>
> We've already got our benevolent dictator (Dave). What does putting up
> another, morally ambiguous dictator accomplish?
>
> I don't see the two situations (Glotmorf having absolute power and
> Glotmorf making himself Overlord) as separate; I see the second as an
> attempt to justify the first, and I'm not accepting it.

The Overlord system provides a way of fixing problems with the gamestate
quickly and efficiently. So, for example, if a loophole were suddenly found
that had the potential to rip the game apart, the player who found it could
communicate privately with the Overlord to coordinate this, then petition
and get approved a fix before anyone had a chance to exploit it.

--
Wonko