Glotmorf on 29 Nov 2002 05:05:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] p1216

On 11/28/02 at 11:44 PM bd wrote:

>On Thursday 28 November 2002 11:27 pm, Glotmorf wrote:
>> Regarding the Let's Get Them Working Right proposal...I think societies
>are
>> working right as they are.  I'm happy with the current version of r578;
>> it's short and to the point, and it lets my societies operate the way I'd
>> like them to.  Especially since I can do dues and raw materials.  Rather
>> than yet another total rewrite, especially one nearly identical to one
>that
>> was just overwritten, I'd much sooner see one that refines the status
>quo.
>> If such is even necessary.
>
>578/16 dosen't seem to have a dues mechanism.

Actually, the dues mechanism is implied: "A society is a group of entities, called the Members of that society, who agree to be governed by a set of publicly visible rules, called the Charter of that society." So if I say in the charter that M-Tek collects dues, then M-Tek collects dues.  If members don't agree with that, then they're not part of the society and their dues aren't collected.

>How's this:
>I propose:
>{{
>
>Append the following to section I of rule 578:
>{{
>All soceities have one member considered the Chairman of said soceity.
>Soceities without a chairman must specify a new one in their Charter. If
>they
>do not, the member who has been a member for the longest amount of time
>becomes the Chairman. The previous sentence does not apply. 1 nweek after
>this revision of this rule is created, this sentence and the one before
>are
>deleted.
>}}
>
>Append the following to rule 578:
>{{
>IX. Automatic transfers
>
>Any portion of a soceity's Charter that specifies that members transfer
>Possessions, Score, Charm, or Bandwith is an Automatic Transfer Clause.
>
>Any charter change that creates or alters an Automatic Transfer Clause
>must be
>approved by all members of the Soceity within 3 ndays, in addition to
>whatever restrictions may be imposed by the charter. If a member is Ousted
>during the time, e is not required to approve the change for it to be
>implemented. If a member joins during the 3 nday period, e must approve
>the
>change for it to be implemented.
>
>When the ATC specifies the transfer take place, the Chairman of the
>soceity in
>question must indicate this fact within 3 ndays on a public forum. The ATC
>is
>then carried out.
>
>If the chairman fails to notify the invocation of the ATC on a public
>forum,
>the ATC is not carried out. If a player cannot meet the requirements set
>by
>the ATC, the transfer is not carried out. The charter in question may
>specify
>actions to be performed if the ATC fails for this reason.
>}}
>
>}}

Interesting.  So automatic transfers can be scheduled to happen on a regular basis, but only if the Responsible Person in the society officially states at the time it's supposed to be happening that it's supposed to be happening?  A dead-man's switch for dues collection.

Could be a pain in the ass, but I could see something like it being reasonable.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower