Daniel Lepage on 21 Nov 2002 19:09:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Scam 1, Take 2

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

>> If Wonko's rule regulates how the point balance is raised or lowered, then
>> Wonko's rule regulates how the point balance is changed.  If there is no
>> provision for changing it some other way, then it's not allowed, since
>> Wonko's regulating of how the point balance is changed keeps it from being
>> changed some other, unregulated way.  Sorry.
>>
> Wonko's rule regulates how it 'is changed'.  It does not regulate the Action
> 'change Point Balance'.  The difference here is the Action and the already
> defined Process.

The issue here is how loosely the word 'regulated' should be interpreted.
The case could be made that the default case is unnecessary, because there a
rules describing changes to the gamestate, and thus gamestate changes are
regulated. One could also argue that r18 declares that whatever is not
explicity forbidden is legal.

I, however, am of the opinion that if a method is given for the alteration
of a specific aspect of the gamestate, that is sufficient to regulate the
alteration of said aspect. Therefore, neither Orc's individual actions nor
those of eir society were made legal by r18.

I cite a past CFI as precedent. I think the number was 251, but I could be
wrong.

--
Wonko