Glotmorf on 18 Nov 2002 04:10:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: CFI

--- Adam Hill <adamahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So requested.
>
> Thanks,
> Anything McGee.
>
> -- "Glotmorf" became inebriated and said:
> >Analysis:
> >
> >Already stated in various posts.  Summation
> available upon request.

Certainly.

By the way, I apologize in advance if this gets posted
multiple times.  My ISP is giving me grief; I can't
connect with my SMTP server at all, and I'm even
having fits with this webmail account.

At the time of the incident in question, the first
line of Rule 578, subsection C, read:

"Actions in this rule are not the only actions that
societies may take."

This statement mandates that societies can take
actions other than those listed in Rule 578, but does
not in any way regulate what those other actions can
be.  Therefore, by Rule 18, "whatever is not
prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted
and unregulated," so societies can take any action at
all.

The second line of Rule 18 reads:

"Changing the Rules is permitted only as explicitly or
implicitly described by a Rule other than this Rule or
a set of Rules not including this Rule."

Since the line from Rule 578, subsection C, says
societies can take any action, it implies societies
can change rules, thus satisfying the "or implicitly"
requirement of the line from Rule 18.  Therefore,
societies are permitted by Rule 578 to change rules.

This, however, would be true even if Rule 18
conflicted with Rule 578, since both rules have the
same Chutzpah, and Rule 33 states,

"If two or more rules have equal Chutzpah, the rule
with the highest identification number takes
precedence."

Therefore, Rule 578 would take priority.

Upon the enactment of Rule 578, M-Tek, exercising its
permission to take any action, made the following rule
on 10 November:

{{ _Glotmorf Rules!_

Glotmorf can change any rule e wishes, at any time e
wishes.  This rule takes precedence over every other
rule.  This rule cannot be changed or repealed except
by Glotmorf.  No rule can be added that would conflict
with this rule.

}}

Whereupon I, acting on authority of this new rule,
which, per Rule 5, would have received the highest
sequence number and thus held precedence over all
rules of Chutzpah 1, performed two actions: I set the
Chutzpah of Glotmorf Rules! to 1000, and I removed the
first sentence of Rule 578, subsection C.

The Administrator refused to recognize the creation of
the rule and my subsequent actions, based on this text
from Rule 2:

"Any similarity between the string of characters that
constitute the name of a Player and a string of
characters in the text of a Proposal, Rule, or
Judgment shall have no impact on the implementation of
that Proposal, Rule, or Judgment, unless the language
of the Proposal, Rule, or Judgment specifically
indicates the string of characters is referring to a
Player of that name."

However, I submit that:

- Either Glotmorf Rules! doesn't conflict with this,
since the similarity to my player name and the text
does not impact the implementation of the rule, but
rather *is* the implementation of the rule; or

- Glotmorf Rules!, if it does conflict with Rule 2,
takes priority since it has equal or higher Chutzpah
and a higher sequence number.

Therefore, per all of the above, the rule entitled
Glotmorf Rules! was created, and it in turn gave me
the authority to, among other actions, change its
Chutzpah to 1000.

(I don't believe I promised a *brief* summation...:)
						Glotmorf