Orc In A Spacesuit on 15 Nov 2002 05:47:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] prop:Automation

From: "Baron von Skippy" <baronvonskippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I still fail to see why BvS wants to automate giving bandwidth. If it's to save Iain, there's a prop out there to save anyone who wants to be saved, without chaining em to M-Tek. BvS, could you please enlighten me?

-It saves time and trouble if it's assumed that by joining a bandwidth-taking society, you give it bandwidth, rather than having to get permission from everyone. If vSOI were like that, I'd have to get permission from 8 people to make each proposal, OR they could give me permission standing until retracted, saving everyone from having to read a half-dozen more posts.-

Your interpertation is wrong. If vSOI were a proposal-making society (and the CEO could mandate that it make proposals), all it would take is _one_ bandwidth from _one_ person (even yourself) to make each propoasl. No permission necessary, unless you want to have the charter require it (like an in-house vote).

Orc In A Spacesuit
hopes that is cleared up.

-Kindly do not presume to tell me that I have misinterpreted my own thoughts. I do not refer to what you speak of. I mean if there are 8 players in vSOI, each loses 1/8 of a Bandwidth point per proposal. Or I could ask each of them. If it's not divided like that, why is one person losing a bandwidth point so that good things can happen to a lot of people? That's downright unamerican.-

[[BvS]]

It's as American as can be. People who want to pay, and who like the proposal(s), can pay the bandwidth. Those who don't support the prop (yes, members of a society can disagree) aren't forced to pay. If they don't, then the society may kick em out or something. Plus, if everyone supports a prop, but only some have spare bandwidth, things aren't stopped by those with no bandwidth.

Just to make it extra clear, people do not lose bandwidth just because a society they are members of proposes; they have to decide whether or not they support what the society is doing, and whether or not they want to contribute bandwidth. The society may have special rules for handling this, maybe having internal votes for club props, and whoever proposes it supplies the bandwidth, unless someone else volunteers, or whatever.

Orc In A Spacesuit
presumes nothing