Glotmorf on 13 Nov 2002 14:36:08 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Daily Recognizer (Wednesday morning)

On 11/13/02 at 3:46 AM David E. Smith wrote:

>Glotmorf: the Insta-Rules page appears to be a bit out-of-date. (It's got
>listings labeled "Pending the end of nweek 22:" which has long since come
>and gone...) Also, if you intend to stay on as Insta-Minister, you have to
>re-nominate yourself in the next couple days, as your 1-nyear term is
>almost up.

The one-nyear term limit applies to elected ministers.  I thought I was appointed by the proposal...?  But yes, please consider me self-nominated if an election is due.  And I'll try to get the page current again, especially since Wonko has made an insta-rule.

>Glotmorf's attempt to write free rules is foiled by r18: "Changing the
>Rules is permitted only as explicitly or implicitly described by a Rule
>other than this Rule or a set of Rules not including this Rule." I admit
>my interpretation is a bit fuzzy, but it'll stand until CFI'd.  (1176,
>1182)

I would like to ask you to reconsider your interpretation.  Rule 578 says, "Actions in this rule are not the only actions that societies may take."  By mandating that societies can take actions not specified in the rule, but not specifying what the limits of those actions are, Rule 578 states a society can take any action.  The fact that a society can take any action implies a society can change the rules, which satisfies the "or implicitly" condition of the portion of Rule 18 you cited.

Even if r578 *is* in conflict with r18, I cite the second paragraph of r33 to say that r578 takes priority, as the chutzpah is the same and the rule number is higher.

Since one of the first things I did under the authority of Glotmorf Rules! was to plug up the hole that permitted it, I strongly urge recognition of the rule before someone comes up with a more malicious, yet not rule-changing, society act.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower